International Chess School Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A surprising line in the scandinavian

3 posters

Go down

A surprising line in the scandinavian Empty A surprising line in the scandinavian

Post by HangingKing February 4th 2010, 4:09 pm

I played a surprising line in the scandinavian gambit, does ICS opening material on scandinavian references this line ? I'm curious about it.

Anyway, position after 13. below, if very complicated, but i feel white is fine afterall.
What do you think ?

A surprising line in the scandinavian 8ak3i2kr2jgg
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

A surprising line in the scandinavian Empty Re: A surprising line in the scandinavian

Post by Blue Devil Knight February 4th 2010, 4:19 pm

I don't know if they cover it, but when I played that all the books said that white should not take on c6 that it gives black too much compensation in the form of activity.

However, looking over your game, it reaches a position that is so imbalanced that it is hard for me to evaluate without a long think. First impression is that black is better: better piece coordination, general piece activity, King safety. White's position looks like a mess.

OTOH, overall impressions aren't moves, so maybe white can work his way out of this hole. I would prefer to be black.
Blue Devil Knight
Blue Devil Knight
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

A surprising line in the scandinavian Empty Re: A surprising line in the scandinavian

Post by HangingKing February 4th 2010, 4:23 pm

Yeah generally i don't accept the gambit on c6 and play Nc3 standard, but sometimes i go for the gambit just to see what happens.

The fact is that white position is a mess, but in the same time 2 pawns ahead, which is not a bad compensation since they are both passed and in the center.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy February 4th 2010, 4:36 pm

I played a surprising line in the scandinavian gambit, does ICS opening material on scandinavian references this line ? I'm curious about it.

No & No
For Black all lines are based on the "modern" ...Qxd5 ...Qd6 lines.
For White the response to Nf6 is Bb5. I've never seen this in a real game. I tend to find that c6 players hate the Pannov. So I play c4 followed by d4 with good results
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy February 4th 2010, 5:00 pm

7...Qb6. Ne4 seems stronger but Pe4 is virtually winning. B sacs on f2 and Qb6 later.
9.d4 would not have led to such an exciting position. But would have been a clear advantage to white. Followed by Ne5

Ok the above moves I did in my head but I finally gave up after postion at move 13 and used Fritz. My take was if I was black I liked whites position. If I was white I liked blacks.
According to Fritz Black has only one move that leads to more or less equality (0.55). I wont waste the move. Thi is too good a position to give the answers & I won't hide them either- it is too easy to peek.

Last edited by hoopy on February 4th 2010, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing February 4th 2010, 5:26 pm

Interestings insights !

Altough since i play the panov quite regularly, the idea of d4 is definitely something i will try.

And yes, because of Ne4, this 7.Nf3 was really bad, 7.Nc3 at least protects this square. The power of black position indeed resides in the kingside knight, which is really misused here ; i notice it now.
HangingKing
HangingKing
International Master
International Master

Back to top Go down

Post by hoopy February 4th 2010, 6:02 pm

HangingKing wrote:Interestings insights !

Altough since i play the panov quite regularly, the idea of d4 is definitely something i will try.

And yes, because of Ne4, this 7.Nf3 was really bad, 7.Nc3 at least protects this square. The power of black position indeed resides in the kingside knight, which is really misused here ; i notice it now.

(I have rewriten the above. Pe4 was even stronger than Ne4 but I obviously was not clear on this.)

Note if you are playing c4 then d4 , in response to e6 ( Icelandic Gambit) rather than c6 (scandanavian gambit) will lead to QGA. Taking on e6 is a nightmare. Whilst it is apparently playable, it has an enormous amount of theory involving exchange sacrifices. Not worth it for a position you might see 1 in 500 games.
hoopy
hoopy
National Master
National Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down