ICS course

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ICS course

Post by DrMythos on December 9th 2009, 4:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. While I have not yet subscribed to ICS, I am considering doing so. As such, I was hoping to get some feedback from people here who have diligently worked through more than half the ICS course. My current rating is FIDE 2090, and I was wondering if the ICS course delivers on its promises? i.e. Will studying their material take you to 2200-2300 FIDE level in 13 months? Has any of you gained a statistically significant number of rating points after finishing the course? The ICS course is fairly expensive, and I just wanted to make sure it will be money well spent. Thanks a lot in advance, for any feedback.

-J

DrMythos
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ICS course

Post by hoopy on December 9th 2009, 6:42 pm

If you believe the adverts for the course then the real improvement is shown in months 10-13!!!
From my perspective I have found it difficult to have enough time to really study the course.I have read the material many times but that is not studying. I am at month 8 & dabble with it & so far reckon I have gone from 1820 - 1950.How much is due to the course ? I reckon about half to third.
hoopy
National Master
National Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zmaster on December 9th 2009, 9:16 pm

I am only in the first month of the course but in the past I have been rated over 2100 USCF. I believe from what I have seen this course will give a chess player want is needed to reach 2300. It is up to the student to master the material and apply the theory in their games. Some students can do this in a year and others will require less or more time. It all depends on the student ability of master and apply what is taught.

zmaster
Scholastic Player
Scholastic Player

View user profile http://www.zebfortman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DrMythos on December 10th 2009, 11:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. I think I will sign up for the main module, but not for the openings. Cheers.

DrMythos
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight on December 11th 2009, 10:48 pm

If you have the time....

Grandmaster
Grandmaster

View user profile http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo on January 6th 2010, 12:48 pm

Good idea DrMythos. The main module is excellent I think but the openings module isn't really necessary. It's ok and I don't regret signing up to it but I don't think it matches high quality reportoire books that I have such as Matthew Sadlers' The Queens Gambit Declined and Mihal Marin's Beating the Open Games for example.

I do like the fact that ICS offer some fairly unusual lines and have been working through their 1.d4 white reportoire, but unless you really want to play several of ICS's choices of Black openings, French, Scandanavian, Dutch, Sicilian Kalashnikov and the Semi Slav/Meran you are better off sticking with openings books.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum