Potentially great new book about to be released

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Potentially great new book about to be released

Post by Bilbo on June 16th 2009, 7:57 pm

This book looks like perfect material to complement this course! It's release in July sometime according to Amazon and I can't wait for it, just look at the contents and course layout, it covers the same themes and should be really helpful.

http://www.newinchess.com/Chess_Strategy_for_Club_Players-p-925&utm_campaign=925_Chess_Strategy_for_Club_Players&utm_medium=mailing&utm_source=newinchess.com&utm_content=text-link.html

There's a few sample pages in acrobat format you can download on that link, looks like my next essential chess purchase Smile

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Potentially great new book about to be released

Post by fanat on June 17th 2009, 9:46 am

Looks like it will be available July 25th on Amazon.

I will definitely get it but I don't know when I will get to it! Very Happy
fanat
National Master
National Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo on June 19th 2009, 7:33 pm

I'm hoping it will be a good primer for this course. With 400 pages it will probably have a decent few pages on each theme that we can read before going to the ICS material. I expect the ICS stuff will be slightly deeper and more complex and it will be good to have a decent introduction to new elements, and hopefully written in proper English will be a nice change too!

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat on July 15th 2009, 11:04 am

Any updates? Bilbo - did you get the book by any chance?
fanat
National Master
National Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo on July 15th 2009, 4:13 pm

Funnily enough it arrived this very morning!

Early impressions are that it looks very good. He uses Steintiz's elements as the basis of the book, most of which correspond very closely with the ICS order of evaluation.

Thus chapters include.

Material Advantage
Weakened King Position
Passed Pawn
Weak Pawn
Strong and Weak Squares
Pawn Island Theory
The Pawn Centre
The Diagonal
Open Files
Bishop Pair
Control of a Rank
Piece Out of Play
Harmony and Coordination
Lead in Development
Centralization
Space Advantage

Also a couple more of thought processess and the eye of the Grandmaster.

Looks like an excellent book!

I also purchased Vol 2 of Yusupov's Build Up Your chess and this looks excellent too so some great stuff to sink my teeth into.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat on July 15th 2009, 4:25 pm

Wow, looks nice!

Does the author gives complete games in each chapter? How does the quality of the material compare to ICS's material?

P.S. I should be getting my volume 1 of "Build up your chess" this week. Very Happy
fanat
National Master
National Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo on July 15th 2009, 5:03 pm

Yes there are many complete games in the book along with others that start from a set position. There are also sets of questions at the end of each chapter.

It looks very very readable from what I can tell, it actually feels like an ICS course crammed into a single volume.

I think Yusupov's books plus this one equal a tremendous learning resource although the Yusupov books are soley dependent on you getting out the board and doing the work, they arn't bedside reading material in the way the ICS course is, very little words but lots of instruction through doing.

I'm making Yusupov's workbooks my number one priority right now becuase they really get me thinking about chess, the ICS stuff I read for entertainment mainly as the game annotations are very clear and pleasant to read.

I certainly think all 3 courses combined should make me one hell of a player!

But in summary, this book is possibly the best I've bought so far in regards to being a complete text on chess strategy. From skimming through it looks easy to understand too.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo on July 15th 2009, 7:07 pm

Spending a couple hours with this book tonight it looks really, really good!

It starts with a chapter on how to think just like ICS with very similar questions to ask yourself prior to each move.

He also has an interesting part about mentally viewing the pawn structure without the pieces on the board so as to best decide where the pieces should be placed.

I'm genuinely suprised by how good this book is, already this and Yusupov's workbooks have surpassed all other chess books I own in that they are written directly for my level and are instantly accessible.

The exercises as well are substantial enough that there is a hell of a lot to get your teeth into.

I can see me working through this book from start finish along with ICS.

I expect ICS will go a little deeper but this is excellent additional material and at around £15 is a bargain!

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hank on July 15th 2009, 11:26 pm

ChessVibes has a review of the book here:
http://www.chessvibes.com/reviews/review-chess-strategy-for-club-players/

-- Hank

Hank
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight on July 16th 2009, 8:55 am

Bilbo you are like a butterfly. Wink Hank, that's a good review.

Grandmaster
Grandmaster

View user profile http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat on July 16th 2009, 9:23 am

Bilbo,

How does this book compare to Silman's "Reassess your chess"?
fanat
National Master
National Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight on July 16th 2009, 9:55 am

That's what I was wondering fanat. There are lots of good books on strategy out there. I wonder what makes this one unique or better? Personally I really like Pandolfini's Omnibus of Chess Strategy. While the weird dictionary-style annoyed me at first, it was very helpful in its simplicity.

On the other hand, I really like the ICS material. Their stuff on the qualitative value of the pieces (and pawn structure) in month one was fantastic.

Is "my system" of more than historical interest these days?

Generally, I'm not in the camp that says if there is nothing new in book X, I'm not reading it. If I need to learn about the topic, why not read something new in modern language rather than an old tome written probably in a ponderous Eastern European style that has been translated? Some people act like anything beyond Vukovic is unnecessary if you want to learn about attack cyclops

Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat on July 16th 2009, 10:15 am

I think ICS material is of very good quality but on a pretty good advanced level like other experienced members indicated! A step above "Reassess you chess" if you may.

I am going through month 5 which is about Pawn Play. ICS gives good material and 8 annotated games. I was looking for some book for more annotated games on the subject and got my old copy of "Reassess your chess". Topics of Isolated/double/backwards/weak pawns/weak squares and space.

It's funny that a year ago when I was starting to learn chess I thought that "Reassess Your Chess" was pretty advance and complicated and I didn't understand all the material when I was going through it. Now, after some time and some ICS material when I went back and looked at Silman's book it was a breeze! This makes me feel a little better because it indicated that I've made some progress!

I like the book overall. The explanations are great and he goes really in depth about the plans. This is why I want to see how this new book compares to Silman's book.

I've never read "My system" and have no desire to. I doubt it will have anything more than ICS course plus some other strategy books.

Again, maybe this new book will cover strategy much better than "My system".

I've took a stab at "Vukovic" book a while ago and didn't like it. To be honest it was too advanced for me last year. I might look at it again later when I have some time. There are other recent books on attack which might be even better according to reviews. Aagards - attacking manual and Larry Christiansen's "Rocking the Ramparts". I have a copy of it and it looks absolutely great. I will study it when I have time later.

Sadly, I have a copy of Pandolfini's "Omnibus of Chess Strategy". I honestly don't like his books. Maybe it's just me. Silman's "Inside Amateurs Mind" is similar book by much much better.
fanat
National Master
National Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Devil Knight on July 16th 2009, 10:18 am

My favorite book on attack (which frankly I have only skimmed not read) is Attacking Technique by Colin Crouch. It is very clearly written. I found Vukovic unreadable too and sold that book. Smile

Grandmaster
Grandmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat on July 16th 2009, 10:23 am

Blue Devil Knight wrote:My favorite book on attack (which frankly I have only skimmed not read) is Attacking Technique by Colin Crouch. It is very clearly written. I found Vukovic unreadable too and sold that book. Smile

LOL.

I actually have "Attacking Technique" and went through about half of the book before getting very busy with Month 5 material. It's a very nice and short book and am hoping to come back to it next month!
fanat
National Master
National Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo on July 16th 2009, 11:03 am

Comparing it to Reasses Your Chess, I'm not sure. I own that book but I've only ever skimmed through it, along with the Amatuers Mind.

Whilst I like both of those books and believe they must be tremendously instructive they don't seem to be a complete middlegame course, but rather a dip into various middlegame themes.

This new book is very much a complete course and follows a very similar structure to ICS.

The first couple chapters talk about how to evaluate a position just like ICS, what features to look for and then the rest of the book goes into detail on all of those features.

It's the same general order as well, material advantage, king safety etc.

There's many exercises in the book, over 70 pages are devoted just to test solutions so you are definitely getting your money's worth.

I'm really looking forward to working through it, alongside ICS. As it covers the same themes I will study both side by side.

Glancing through yesterday I found an interesting strategic idea relating to strong squares. Its showed how white had control of c4 and d5 and so kept switching his pieces around on those squares, putting first the queen on c4 and a knight on d5 then playing Ke3, Qd5 and Nc4 before finally putting the bishop on c4.

It's a Nimzowitch strategy apparently which he called the costant 'Changing of the Guard' so that your opponent constantly has to switch his defenses around depending on what pieces are occupying the strong squares.

If those kind of subtle strategic ideas appeal then its worth buying the book for sure I'd say.

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fanat on July 16th 2009, 11:05 am

Thanks Bilbo!

This book will be on my next to buy list!
fanat
National Master
National Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hank on August 14th 2009, 7:37 am

Here's another very nice review of the Grooten book, by Steve Goldberg at Chesscafe:
http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review696.pdf

-- Hank

Hank
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PythonChess on January 6th 2010, 1:07 pm

I have a copy of Grooten's "Chess Strategy for Club Players" myself and I have just started the ICS course. I am going to be using this book as reinforcement as I go through this course. I agree it is a great complement and an impressive tome.

PythonChess
Learning the Rules
Learning the Rules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbo on October 14th 2010, 5:53 pm

Just bumping this for you BDK, to add to the review section as well maybe?

Bilbo
International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HangingKing on February 19th 2011, 10:22 pm

Just got a hand on "reassess your chess", brand new 4th edition.

It is said to be completely rewritten and it is, i saw 3rd edition in the library and use to read some chapters was about 400 pages, this book is 658 pages long, with a bunch of new diagrams and games (with games up to 2009!).

They've made a rich effort on presentation, with some "what's important to remember" and "summary" boxes. Also the games are less dry than in previous edition, more comments.

I can't tell you more for now, but this new edition is clearly much pleasant to read than previous one.

There are also a lot of tests and exercises in the book, and the solution chapter is 200 pages long !

International Master
International Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BorgQueen on February 20th 2011, 5:57 pm

That sounds great! I'll have to see if I can find somewhere to buy it... hopefully it is not toooo expensive.

----
Blue Devil Knight wrote:The danger of studying positional chess at the expense of tactics is that you will spend a half hour thinking about where a Knight belongs, and then proceed to put it on a beautiful square where it is en prise. Smile
BorgQueen
Grandmaster
Grandmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum